Spring 2016

Spring 2016
(All Works Cited Posted with Conclusions)

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Heroin by George Flores


Heroin addiction is a world problem.  This drug, which comes from the resin of a poppy plant, is known to cause people to become addicted to the drug.  It was believed that heroin, which was said to have had a lower dose, and also made from the poppy plant just like Morphine and Opium, this new drug “Heroin” would help get Morphine addicts to slowly get off of the drug.  In the end, the present day tells us otherwise.  With addicts fighting to keep the needle in their veins instead of becoming sick and having track marks all over their bodies, and with things not looking good for the future, things look grim due to the fact of how hard it is to stop the production of the drug, millions will remain affected. 
            It can be found today in Afghanistan but was known to come from Persia, Egypt and Mesopotamia as well, hundreds of years before (Heroin: what is it?).    Heroin was created in 1899 by the Bayer Pharmaceutical Company to help Morphine addicts (1). In the 1850’s, Opium was a big problem in the United States.  Hundreds of people were addicted to Opium (1). Then the creation of Morphine by the Germans came into play in the 1860’s.  It was suppose too help people with the addiction of Opium, but it just got worse.  The invention of heroin was also suppose too stop the addiction of Morphine.  This did not help either it just made people more addicted to the drug (1).
            As of 2007, ninety-three percent of Heroin comes from Afghanistan (International statistics).  In the world, more than thirteen and a half million people take opioids (1).  Out of them, 9.2 million use Heroin (1).  It also is said that the world wide sales of opioids is more than four billion dollars a year, with three quarters of the profits going to the people who traffic the drug (1).  The other part going to the farmers.  A survey by The National Drug and Health  in 2007 said, the reported people using heroin was about 150,000, but they said that they believe that is was more close to 900,000 (1).  Another statistic is that eighteen percent of people in the United States being treated for drugs, is for the drug Heroin (1).  Another statistic is that four out of five people who die due to drugs in Europe is related to the drug Heroin (1).
            Some of the facts about what Heroin looks like is in its purist form it looks like a white powder (what does heroin look like?).  It can also look like a rose gray, brown, or black in color (1).  It is said that due to the fact of the drug being diluted by dealers, it can turn different colors (1).  There is things like sugar, caffeine, and other things that can be added to dilute the product (1).  In the streets, drug dealers are known to cut the Heroin with things like strychnine.  This unknown to the drug abuser can be very dangerous.  It can cause complications to the blood vessels leading to the kidney, brain, and lungs.  The blood clots can potentially lead to infection or cause damage to the organs (1).  Most of the people who buy drugs on the streets have no idea what is in the drug.  With this being done, there is most likely going to be a death or an overdose (1). 
            Heroin is known to be smoked, sniffed or injected (What does Heroin look like?).  It goes by the names: Big H, Smack, Brown Sugar, Horse, Thunder and Hell Dust, these are just a few of the names they call it on the streets (1).  When used, it is said that you can be able to get this amazing high and still be able to function and interact with people (1).  In the article, it stated that you also get a sensation of sex in your mind, but it normally does not last long (1).
            The Bayer Pharmaceuticals Company also sold aspirins and heroin in children’s medication (Edwards). In the early 20th century, there was a “watchdog group” that investigated the Bayer Company (1).  They found that the company was advertising posters that said it will cure the cough of your children.  There was a picture of two children reaching for a medicine bottle, and it was written in Spanish.  The saying said, “La tos desparece”(1).   Another poster had a mother giving her children a spoonful of the medicine.  It is said that back in those days any company could do or sell whatever they wanted (1).  There was not limits to selling a product back in those days (Edwards).           
Some of the examples of the effects of heroin were Suzanne, who wrote:
“Heroin cut me off from the rest of the world.  My parents kicked me out, my friends and my brothers didn’t want to see me anymore.  I was all alone”(1).  The example was Allison, who said:
From the day I started using, I never stopped.  Within one week I had gone from snorting heroin to shooting it.  Within one month I was addicted and going through all of my money.  I sold everything of value that I owned, and eventually what my mom owned.  Within one year I had lost everything.  I sold my car, lost my job, was kicked out of my mother’s house, was out on the streets and twenty five thousand dollars in debt.  Now living on the streets of Camden, New Jersey, I stole, I cheated, I was raped, beaten, mugged, robbed, arrested, homeless and sick.  I knew that nobody could live a lifestyle like that for very long, and I knew that death was imminent. If anything, death was better than life as a junkie. (1). 
                  In an interview with Mr. Knows Best, he was nice enough to give me a firsthand account of the life as a heroin addict.  One of the questions asked was how did you get introduced to heroin?  He responded: “that a friend told me there was nothing like it and that I should give it a try. I was hooked the first time I tried it!”  He also said: “that his friend P.J and Mike taught him how to use it, and that they were older than him.” When asked when it was his first time experimenting with heroin, he replied, “I was twenty five years old and I injected it.” He also said: “that there was only one way to do it and that was by injecting it. Any other way is a waste of money!”  Another question asked was; where did you get it?  His response was? “I actually got it from people I met in high school and who were friends. We got it in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was a three hour drive to Tulsa. Then, I started getting it in Tulsa and bringing it back to my hometown where I could resell it to pay for my own habit.”  What was the outcome of using heroin I asked; did you steal for it? Did you bring problems to your loved ones?  He said, “I never had to steal anything; I had a great job in the oilfield that allowed me to buy heroin. But, I did miss a lot of work due to using it. My dad was one of the bosses where I worked, and he covered for me, so I was able to keep my job without any trouble.” Then I asked, how did you finally kick the habit?  Was it a tough battle?  He responded, “I would not have kicked my habit without my wonderful wife, then girlfriend, who came into my house, took care of me, and helped me get my life together.” He also said, a lot of people go to methadone treatment houses to kick their heroin habit. But, that’s just replacing one bad habit with another. I’ve always been strong willed, “Mind over matter!” so I was able to stop without that. I did have withdrawals and was sick for several days. I had the shakes and sweats. Lots of junkies use jail as their way to get clean. I didn’t need to do any of those, though.” Once a junkie, always a junkie, he said. Even to this day, I can watch someone shooting heroin, and I can still get an urge to shoot up. It’s a thrill like no other”(1). 
a.       When it comes to the treatment of heroin addicts, some of the options are pharmacological medications, or there is behavioral treatment centers (What are the treatments for heroin?).  These are said to be some of the best treatments when it comes to slowing down the drug use, the cut down on transmitted diseases, and illegal criminal activity this is what is being used today to help the situation (1).  These treatments also have been a success when it comes to employment by the heroin addicts (1).  The goal of these treatment facilities is to work on the brain functions and the behaviors of the heroin addicts.  They know it will not solve the problem completely, but it is a great step to hopefully something bigger down the road. 
When it comes to the pharmacological treatments, the goal is to take the urge for the heroin (1).  One of the first steps in this treatment is to detoxify the patient.  Again, the reason being to help addicts from committing crimes or having unsafe sexual contact (1).  Using the meds is said to be used to try to hit the opioid receptors in the brain to help it fight off the urge of the heroin (1).   This helps counteract the signal the heroin is sending to the receptors in the brain.  It is said the med are very safe in the treatments (1). 
            Three types of medications that are being used are: Agonsis, partial opiods, and the Antegonists (1).  These three type of meds work on the opiod receptors which is a part of the brain that the drug heroin targets.  The Antegonists blocks the signal that the drugs sends to the brain (1).  Methadone is another drug used to help heroin addicts (1).  This drug helps activate the opiod receptors, but makes it respond in a slower manner rather than the way heroin makes your brain react.  Mathadone, which came in the 1960’s, is a drug that also helps heroin addicts from having withdraws (1).  This drug is only used in the out patient treatment programs, and is giving on a daily basis (1). 
            Buprenorphine is another drug used fro heroin addiction.  This is a partial agonist med (1).  This drug basically takes away the cravings of heroin and gives you a sense of relief.  Another drug that is used today is Suboxone (1).  It is like a generic Buprenorphine.  This drug is commonly taken orally (1).  The function of this drug is to stop the attempt to get high from the heroin.  Naloxone is a drug that will induce withdraw symtoms (1).  This drug was approve in 2002 by the FDA (bruprenophine) (1).  In 2013, the FDA also approved two generic forms of Suloxone making it more affordable to heroin addicts around the country (1).  Nalthexone, blocks the actions of opiods.  It is not an addictive product, or you do not become dependent of it (1).  Nathexone is a drug that is injected.  It is given once a month (1).  This is a list of really good options for the heroin epidemic. 
            In the Behavioral treatment therapy’s, the cognitive behavioral treatment is made to help the patient understand their drug usage.  This happens when they learn to control their emotion and anger (1).  They learn to build skills and deal with life issues.  The hopes is that they can learn to control their anger and take responsibility for their lives, and get back on track (1). 
     Learned and tried to put to getter a solution for the heroin drug epidemic. 
What a tough battle it is for so many people, like the addicts and their family and friends.  The only thing that I could think of to stop the heroin epidemic     
Was to try to use more funds to go to the countries and work with the Government in charge in the region.  Even though we do it now, we still need to put more pressure on the growers of the poppy plant, and the smugglers.  And people caught selling the drug should be given long term sentences, or make a deal to get a lesser sentence if they give up the main dealers.  Another thing that can be done is to show films of heroin users to elementary, intermediate and high school kids, and educate them about the bad things that can happen if you try this drug.   My ideas to the solution may be a contributing factor to the problem, and my save a life or two one day.  My feeling is that if we could all at least have one idea to a solution, maybe, just maybe millions of lives will be change for the better, later down the road.   
            If Camus were to have been living in the world today with the heroin epidemic the way it is, he would be a person who would fight to help people with the addiction.  He also might have hated it.  Camus to me was someone who I felt that would not run from a situation, but he would try to help with a solution.  In the story he to me did not like the ugliness of certain things like: weather, dirty cities and ugly people.  This is why I feel he would be right in the mix of the problem trying to help out. 
            In the end, like Michelle and Mike said in the interview question I asked,  “what would it take to inform people of telling their loved ones to stay away from Heroin?”  They both answere d with a similar response and said choose your friends wisely and it’s a nasty drug but very addictive (Michelle, Garcia, Mike, Doe)!! For me knowing how much it can effect a person, because I have had a niece addicted to heroin and it was just problems.  Hopefully one day we can come up with a cure for the millions who have fallen victim to the drug heroin.   

Work Cited
Edwards. Jim.“Yes Bayer Promoted heroin for children here are the ads to prove it”. Web. Nov  
Foundation for a Drug Free World. “International Statistics”. Web. 2006-2016
Interview with Michelle Garcia (April 2016
Interview with Mike Doe (April 2016)
Interview with Mr. Knows Best (March 2016)
 “What are the treatments for heroin?”. National Institute on Drug Abuse. Web. Nov. 20, 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment